Monday, May 28, 2012

Starting Guitar Number 3

I finally started work on guitar number three this weekend.  When I ordered the supplies from LMI, I decided to make use of their "kit wizard".  This lets you select all the parts and gives you a 15% discount on the tonewood, a 10% discount on other materials and a 60% discount on shop services.  With that much of a discount on shop services, I spent the extra money to have them bend the sides and slot the fretboard for me.
I also purchased a pre-made rosette this time. I still have one left over from the first two guitars, but I wanted something nicer this time.  


For this guitar, I found some nice flame maple on eBay for the top. It's not big enough for a full-sized guitar, so I'm building a parlor sized guitar instead.


I'm also inlaying a bloodwood back stripe this time and the bindings are also bloodwood.  


I'm sticking with zircote for the fretboard and bridge.  Although I ordered a pre-made bridge, I didn't read it right and got a steal string bridge instead of a classical.  So I'll have to order another bridge or a zircote blank and make my own.  Bridges aren't that hard to make, so I'll probably just order a blank.

No comments:

Post a Comment