Sunday, April 24, 2011

First Guitar Done!

Here's the final product. Well, not really.  I still need to tweak the frets a bit and I'm not completely done with the finish on the back and the sides, but I couldn't wait to string it up and see how it sounded.  Not bad for a first attempt.


Here are some more pictures of the construction.  The front and sides joined together.
Here I'm gluing on the kerfing strip. My kerfing is half inch ceder which I cut on the table saw. I'm not really happy with the way it came out. You can see a few blocks just left of the clamps where it chipped.  And it's hard to get the spacing even. I drew a mark on the surface of the table saw and tried to line a previous cut up with that line, but keeping that consistently accurate is hard. For the next guitar, I've ordered pre-cut kerfing.    


Here's a picture of the back being glued on. I need more clamps, but they're not cheap. I had these spare bricks laying around. I've got the cardboard cutout of the shape over the body to protect it. This worked just fine.



Here is the guitar hanging in my shop drying with a few coats of shellac. 



 Notice that I taped off the area where the bridge will be glued on later.  I wish I had done that with the fretboard too instead of gluing it on before finishing.  The veneer on the headstock is a burly maple that I got at Hardwood Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment