Thursday, March 10, 2011

First Guitar Build Update

For the fist build, I wanted to try the techniques needed on wood that I could get locally.  Menard's (a Home Depot like place) has mahogany in stock.  I tried resawing some on a table saw, but I couldn't get that to work.  The blade won't go more than about 1.5", so even if I turn the wood over, I can't resaw anything wider than about 3 inches.

I was talking with Mark, the accompanist at our temple, about this project.  Mark just happens to be one of the vice presidents of a local company that builds pipe organs, He said that they had just finished building an organ cabinet out of mahogany and thought they might have some scraps and the tools necessary to do what I needed.  Two weeks later, he brought me some mahogany pieces for the sides and back.  Thanks to Mark and the crew!  (I would name the company, but I don't want them to get a flood of requests for this sort of thing)

The back came as two book-matched pieces.  When I held the pieces together and held them up the the light, you could see a bit if light, so it wasn't a perfect joint.  The crew who sawed them up may have run them through a jointer, but I had let them set for a week, so the wood had time to relax and it wasn't 100% perfect anymore.  I had found a YouTube video about using a "shooting board" to plane the edges perfectly for joining.  I built this jig and tried to improve what I had.  It turned out not to work so well.  The plane kept catching and making it worse.  I gave up on that and used sandpaper wrapped around a long level, which worked a lot better.

The back is glued-up now.

No comments:

Post a Comment